One hundred year-old wood decay is a cause for concern, especially when the wood is on a log cabin housing the interpretive center of the area. Ashby Cabin in Upper Blackfoot Valley was built in 1915 as a summer cabin for the Ashby family and was moved to the museum site in 1997. Springborn Cabin was the first year-long ranger station and was built in 1927. Both buildings needed wood preservatives to maintain the structure of the cabins. Using MHF funds, the Upper Blackfoot Valley Historical Society contracted a local craftsman to apply preservative to the two cabins.