St. Patrick’s Cemetery was the only Catholic cemetery in Butte when it was constructed. The cemetery had its first burial in 1885, and by 1912, all the lots in the cemetery had been sold. St. Patrick’s Cemetery was created at the end of the Victorian era and thus has some of the city’s finest funerary art. Although many of the marble structures that make up the funerary art have been vandalized, enough remains to see its intrinsic beauty.
The Butte Ancient Order of Hibernians used MHF funds to restore the St. Patrick’s Cemetery by improving the entrance to the cemetery, replacing the curbing for the road network in the cemetery, and placing a map at the front entrance that displays the location of the graves.