Stevensville, MT 2015

Historic St. Mary’s Mission – Chapel Restoration

A rare occurrence in American history took place when the Salish Indian Tribe, through the influence of the Iroquois Indians, actively recruited European Missionaries into their encampment to teach Christianity. The missionaries advocated equality for the Indians, which became legendary among indigenous tribes across the United States.

The St. Mary’s Mission chapel complex dates back to 1866 and is comprised of the chapel with attached living quarters, including the study, dining room, and kitchen. The original wood on the chapel’s facade, bell tower, five doors, fourteen window casings, and eaves were scraped, sealed, caulked, and painted.